Zarifopol Mansion

The Zarifopol Mansion

The Zarifopol Mansion was built in 1850 by a Moldavian nobleman named Stephen Catargiu. It is located in a small town, Filipesti, in the Bacau county in Moldova. Zarifopol was the last name of the second owner of the place who came from Greece known as George Zarifopol.

 

The Zarifopol Mansion
The Zarifopol Mansion

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This mansion was nicknamed “House of the Devil” by the inhabitants after one of its owners committed suicide by hanging himself when the mansion was used as a school. According to the legend, blinded by his thirst for money he was manipulated by one of his employees who convinced him that beneath his land oil could be found. Several specialists were employed. However after many failed attempts and no oil to be found anywhere, he realized the truth. It was too late and his deceitful employee took all his money. With nothing left he decided to end his life. After that dreadful act, strange things started to happen. The following owners and the inhabitants said that during daylight the mansion looked like any historical monument where you can admire the beautiful architecture and peaceful atmosphere but when the night fell it was another story. The mansion became the “House of the Devil”, the peaceful atmosphere started to feel dark and threatening. Voices of the dead man can be heard as well as suspicious noises. The inhabitants of the village swear that when it is pitch black, you can hear indistinct voices and the stairs cracking under the heavy steps of ghosts.

 

Sources:

https://melidoniumm.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/mihai-stirbu-iubirile-scriitorilor-dinu-zarifopol-si-maria-economu/ histoire du suicide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reportedly_haunted_locations_in_Romania

http://www.deferlari.ro/2012/10/trecator-pin-judet-8-conacul-zarifopol.html

http://www.digistoria.net/ro/monumente/cauta.php?lmi=BC-II-m-A-00808

http://www.sfetcu.com/language/ro/locatii-paranormale-locuri-bantuite-romania-1/ http://www.memorialsighet.ro/conacul-zarifopol-din-carligi-bacau/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ross Island — Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India

Ross Island used to be headquarters for the British administration of a penal settlement. It is one of the islands in the chain of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The plans for a settlement were made from 1788 to 1789, but at that time due to the high mortality the idea was soon dismissed. In 1887, the British administration established a jail and a penal colony which brought the people back to the island. It was occupied by Japanese troops in March 1942 and then returned back to the British control before being taken over by Indian Navy in 1979.

Now, Ross Island is totally abandoned, but it still is an appealing tourist attraction for people who are interested in discovering abandoned places and their history. The main reason for the abandonment of this island is the earthquake of 1941 that caused the British to leave. Since then the island started to gradually sink into oblivion and neglect. Now to promote tourism, the Indian Navy has rebuilt some old buildings and added local stores as well as souvenir shops.

Ross Island — Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Ross Island — Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Farzand Ali store is the most famous building on the island, and it is soon to become a museum about British era and their activities in the past.  Besides this one, a lot of old buildings still can be seen around the island such as the church, tennis court, printing press, secretariat, hospital, cemetery, open air theater and the water purification plant. There are also barracks for the troops and bungalows for officers. The island is embraced by a beautiful coast line with diverse kind of natural plants, birds and deer.

The island can overwhelm you with its natural beauty. It is covered with dense forest, intertwining creepers and mammoth tress. There was the time when the island was a thriving centre of colonial rule with wealthy lifestyle.

Ross Island — Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Ross Island — Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Furthermore, there are also plenty of interesting places to visit here. For example, the Presbyterian Church that was built of stone with a view looking to the harbor. The most impressive building that once stood on the island was the Chief Commissioner’s Bungalow located in the northern of the island. It was a wooden building. The magnificent house consisted of many rooms, a tennis court, palm house and was surrounded by gardens. In addition, the reason why there was a water purification plant on the island was due to serious diseases: malaria, dysentery and typhoid.

It is a place that can take you back in time offering old buildings and beautiful natural landscape. Even though the heyday of this island was long time ago, we still enjoy the remains and structures left on this island to remind us of more prosperous time.